Skip to main content

Whole Wheat Spanish Bread

I would love for you guys to view some clips of this Kitchen Aid mixing version, small batch but comes out the same way. I was in the mood for a Whole Wheat version (of course i didn't tell the boys) of Spanish Bread. Nephew coming from Canada and this is the only bread he likes to nibble on.

Now because it is Kitchen Aid, you know you cannot overtax the motor. I mixed the dough for a good 10 minutes and covered it until the motor cooled down.

Finish mixing for about 3 more 7 minute runs.
After mixing, divide the dough into logs, cut into 30 gram portions.
Flatten them out after rounding and relax them before filling.


Put the filling, (cake crumbs, sugar and butter)and roll, sealing the edges tightly. If you are like me who end up with a lot of cake trimmings, you know Spanish Bread is the next best thing. No wastage!



Roll in breadcrumbs,and place the rolls seal side down on greased or lined baking sheets.


I used the oven, with the pilot light on as a proofer. Since it is a warm summer time in New York, it took only about an hour and a half to proof this batch.

I breathe a huge sigh of relief when they get to this size in just under two hours. 2 hours and no activity at all will ruin my day. This one gladly did not do just that.
Proofing the oven at this stage, 325 F only because my dough has 18% brown sugar, and i used butter instead of the usual shortening.

Baking, baking, baking.:)

I shifted the baking pans halfway through the baking time, 15 minutes total.

Done, and absolutely a delight to have with coffee in the morning. Sorry, not having too much juice in the brain to write these days, busy...

Recipe:
Baker's Percentage

Bread Flour 90%
Whole wheat flour 10
Yeast 1.5
Brown Sugar 18
Salt 1.8
Milk powder 4
Butter 10
Water 55++ Variable

Mix all ingredients until gluten development. Make-up by dividing into 30 gram portions and fill with cake crumb filling. Seal and dredge in breadcrumbs. Proof until almost double in size.
Bake at a preheated 325 F oven.

Cake Crumb Filling

Cake crumbs 250 grams
Sugar 50
Butter 50

Mix everything together and set aside.

www.breadmakinglessons.yolasite.com

cakesandpetals

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3rd Class Flour, What's It All About

For starters i cannot make this Hard Monay if i did not bring any 3rd class flour or soft weak flour to New York. Once i ran out of 3rd class and tried Cake Flour, it turned bad, do not even think of using All Purpose, it will be soft but not chewy as this one made with yes, 3rd class indeed. So third class is hard to find here in the US if you will use that term. You have to say or look for soft wheat flour, that's it, not hard wheat flour, not cake or All purpose but something in between these two. It is easy to find in the Phil., just ask your local bakery suppliers and they know it is Tercera. Tercera is not for bread, bakers use it basically for cookies, cakes and other pastries, but we bakers know how to create bread recipes using part of this flour with the bread flour or hard wheat flour. It makes a softer version of any of your fave breads, with a cheaper price tag. Plus if i own a bakery, i get to use the third class for my cakes and cookies, lowering my food cost i…

July Session

This is the only session I had so far where i used 2 different brands of flour which is Globe by Universal Robina and Sun Moon Star by Pilmico.Now, if you have attended my class, and I know some of my former students still read my blog then you know that i preach water and adore first class flours with a high protein content. Anything that is lower than my expected level is out of the book just like this popular brand I will call Brit (not it's real name). If you know your history and you bake breads, you know what this brand is. Now, you can certainly email me so I can divulge to you in secret what this horrible I mean disappointing brand of first class is.First off, it does not deserve it's price tag. Too expensive for an over P800.00 per sack flour when a P720.00 sack can use up more water. Why is that important? Well, too long to discuss but I hope your teacher can tell you why. If not, then you went to the wrong school.So here I am, using my student's flour ( they alr…

Baking Pandesal, Once Again on Proofing

I finished my one one one last August, fortunately my student arrived and made it on time before i left or went back to New York. Originally, she was asking for a September 23 to 27 date and since my flight was September 7, i had to decline her request.

I was surprised to hear from her a couple of days later when she changed her mind and decided to go home so she can catch up with me. Paid her deposit and we set the date. 3 days later, she sent me a photo of one of her cook, badly burned and all bandaged up from the hospital. Class postpone. I prayed for her that she gets well so my student can still make it. I was thinking, she would have to wait till December and well, December being a busy month, i have a feeling we will not make it and i have to return her deposit.

Praise G-d, she made it and we had a really really fun session. Her goal was to bake Pandesal and Ensaimada. She has a restaurant in Taiwan and she caters to Pinoys there selling Chicken Inasal which judging from her st…