Skip to main content

Not Baking In Class

This is a story i got from a student from last year's session. It was a rather unusual story and first i heard but what stood out was the fact that it was followed by another story from another student. So, here is this charming lady from Tagaytay who took my bread class and what made her end up in my class was because her son took a bread making class from somewhere but never got to open the bakery they wanted. All equipment in hand, complete with one sack of flour, she decided to give it a try since she can't convince her son to give it a go. It was sad right?

Proof that baking is not for everyone. I don't blame him, he must have some other noble ideas of his own but what i didn't like was the fact that had he gotten some decent training, maybe it would have been different. Not for me to judge because i was not there. Totally. Well, we all have different ideas on how to conduct our classes, same way we are different from each other. I like to make the students work. I don't like it when a student sits too much while shaping the dough. Not a good sign. Bakers never or hardly sit at all.

Basing from what she told me, and what my other student told me, it was kinda unusual indeed to not see how the dough you made in class get baked, the students in this case. That was not all of it though but i do not want to write about them anymore because nobody is perfect. Maybe it is their way of teaching their students?

In my case, the baking of the bread after the students have sweat it out and waited for hours, is the "piece de resistance", the icing on the cake, the proof of the pudding, the tip of the iceberg etc., etc., You have no idea how it feels to see what you were just mooshing with your fingers turn into golden brown bites, the aroma of a freshly baking bread, the warm smoking crumbs you tear with your own fingers. Nothing beats that.

To deprive your student of this is anathema to closing your eyes to a gorgeous sunrise. Bad idea. In my class, i WAIT for this moment. To see my students eyes' when i open the oven after the first bake, the very first load of breads we dish out off the oven, eyes fixated and SILENCE. You can hear a pin drop.

You have to realize most of these students have never baked breads before. You can hear the doubts in their eyes, their questions, their actions during the mixing, shaping and proofing. I have an idea what they were thinking. Is it going to really turn out into a bread? Hmmm. But there it is. Right out of the oven, something is smelling absolutely glorious and when i tell them to start the taste test, i can't help feel the pride that not me, but they have made these breads.

For January to May lessons, email sherqv17@gmail.com for reservations. Deposits accepted through Paypal or BDO banks. Small classes, no time limit and you bake the breads. Not someone else. Promise.

Cake Decorating lessons January 10 11 12, hands on too and free cupcakes to decorate.
Royal Icing, Buttercream and Fondant with Gumpaste.



Student Gerald, first time tackling a 4 sheeter oven in his life but has to do it.



Crispy and crusty baguette baked in a cheap fabricated oven. Possible. Hard but can do.


Day 3 of the Sponge and Dough Class. Everyone waits for the cinnamon rolls, even those who do not like it.


Hamburger buns. Did you know that you can make as much as 12 varieties of bread or even more out of 1 dough? Yup. What i teach in class.


Shaping Focaccias or Flatbreads/Pizzas


Proofing inside the oven for smaller batches. 


Healthy Malunggay Pandesal
Do you know how much Malunggay ends up in your Malunggay Pandesal? Not if you make it yourself.







New year, new beginnings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3rd Class Flour, What's It All About

For starters i cannot make this Hard Monay if i did not bring any 3rd class flour or soft weak flour to New York. Once i ran out of 3rd class and tried Cake Flour, it turned bad, do not even think of using All Purpose, it will be soft but not chewy as this one made with yes, 3rd class indeed. So third class is hard to find here in the US if you will use that term. You have to say or look for soft wheat flour, that's it, not hard wheat flour, not cake or All purpose but something in between these two. It is easy to find in the Phil., just ask your local bakery suppliers and they know it is Tercera. Tercera is not for bread, bakers use it basically for cookies, cakes and other pastries, but we bakers know how to create bread recipes using part of this flour with the bread flour or hard wheat flour. It makes a softer version of any of your fave breads, with a cheaper price tag. Plus if i own a bakery, i get to use the third class for my cakes and cookies, lowering my food cost i…

Baking Pandesal, Once Again on Proofing

I finished my one one one last August, fortunately my student arrived and made it on time before i left or went back to New York. Originally, she was asking for a September 23 to 27 date and since my flight was September 7, i had to decline her request.

I was surprised to hear from her a couple of days later when she changed her mind and decided to go home so she can catch up with me. Paid her deposit and we set the date. 3 days later, she sent me a photo of one of her cook, badly burned and all bandaged up from the hospital. Class postpone. I prayed for her that she gets well so my student can still make it. I was thinking, she would have to wait till December and well, December being a busy month, i have a feeling we will not make it and i have to return her deposit.

Praise G-d, she made it and we had a really really fun session. Her goal was to bake Pandesal and Ensaimada. She has a restaurant in Taiwan and she caters to Pinoys there selling Chicken Inasal which judging from her st…

July Session

This is the only session I had so far where i used 2 different brands of flour which is Globe by Universal Robina and Sun Moon Star by Pilmico.Now, if you have attended my class, and I know some of my former students still read my blog then you know that i preach water and adore first class flours with a high protein content. Anything that is lower than my expected level is out of the book just like this popular brand I will call Brit (not it's real name). If you know your history and you bake breads, you know what this brand is. Now, you can certainly email me so I can divulge to you in secret what this horrible I mean disappointing brand of first class is.First off, it does not deserve it's price tag. Too expensive for an over P800.00 per sack flour when a P720.00 sack can use up more water. Why is that important? Well, too long to discuss but I hope your teacher can tell you why. If not, then you went to the wrong school.So here I am, using my student's flour ( they alr…